The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Monday, November 23, 2009

Hey you kids, turn down that bad singing!

I get that every generation has its music. And I get that every generation thinks its music is better than the music of other eras.
Hey, our grandparents thought Elvis was a freak. And our parents rolled their eyes at the antics of Elton John and David Bowie.
But I must admit that I am now closer to the mentality shared by past generations, which is a nicer way to say that I am now in full-fledged Oldguyhood. I watched the American Music Awards Sunday night and thought for the most part, the music stunk.
Especially Rihanna. I don’t know all that much about her but I know she’s supposed to be a big deal in the music industry. The problem is, I didn’t think she could carry a tune in a bucket.
Just to make sure, I texted Younger Daughter: “I didn’t know Rihanna didn’t know how to sing. I thought she was supposed to be good?”
Younger Daughter responded: “She stinks in live performances.”
Oh. OK, so Rihanna was just having a bad night. Everybody has those now and again. I try not to have mine in front of millions of television viewers, but I usually don’t have to worry about that. And besides, Rihanna looks a lot better in a skintight, white peek-a-boo body suit than I do. So maybe she really doesn’t have to sing much.
Then there was Eminem, 50 Cent and Timbaland. I always thought the guy’s name was M&M, like the candy. That was wrong. Anyway, these guys are called hip-hoppers I’m told. They all performed at the awards show and I can state with absolute certainty that I did not understand one word any of them sang. Or hipped. Or hopped. Or whatever it is they do.
We had musicians that didn’t enunciate either. Hello, Bob Dylan.
All I can do is echo the words of my forefathers: These crazy kids and their loud music.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hip Hop music rocks.Don't know what youre talkin' about man.

January 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]