The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Monday, November 23, 2009

High regard for the goofy and geeky

I was never much for science. At a school open house, I usually gravitate toward the English Department to find writers.
But at a recent high school open house, it was the science teachers that provided the most entertainment because they were the most goofy and geeky, two qualities I hold in high regard.
The most interesting classroom on this visit was the science lab, where the teachers had set up a bunch of microscopes in which visitors could look through and see a variety of gross things, the origin of which is known only to science teachers.
Science teachers have a unique sense of humor. On this evening, they had laid out a big stinkin’ snake on a tray, which from my vantage point from across the parking lot (I really don’t like snakes at all) looked like it was about the size of a bazooka. I couldn’t really tell if it was dead at first, but it turns out that it was and was tagged to eventually be dissected.
At one point, I approached one science teacher who was fiddling around with a big, sealed bag of something, so I maneuvered away from the big snake and toward the big bag.
Turns out it was a bag of brains. Har-dee-har-har.
“Excuse me, Mr. Wizard. But that looks like a bag full of brains you’re fiddling around with there,” I said.
Of course, he gave me the 25-cent explanation that had a lot of 25-cent words in it that I didn’t understand as to why he was left holding the bag of brains. At one point, I believe we discussed the benefits of actual dissection as opposed to virtual dissection, and I didn’t understand any of that either.
“I’m sorry sir,” I said. “I just came to this open house because I thought cookies would be served. But I ended up in here talking to you while you were holding a bag of brains.”
And instead of eating cookies I ended up nearly tossing mine.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]