The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

National Cheese Ball Day? Really?

National Cheese Ball Day was Saturday, April 17. I know, I missed it, too.
In fact, the only reason I knew anything about it at all was because there was some chatter about it amongst my Twitter friends. Twitter chitter-chatter, as it were.
Naturally, I looked it up hoping to find out how cheese balls got their own national day of recognition. I mean, there is an International Talk Like A Pirate Day (every year on Sept. 19), so why wouldn’t there be a National Cheese Ball Day?
Turns out there are cheese ball recipes out the wazoo online, but there doesn’t seem to be much information on who is responsible for this National Cheese Ball Day, even though it’s apparently been celebrated for years. I just assumed somebody in Wisconsin had come up with the idea and I liked to send that person a note of thanks because I think we could round up enough support to eventually get the day off of work for this holiday.
About the only fun fact I could find was that on July 20, 1801, a guy by the name of Elisha Brown Jr. pressed a 1,235-pound cheese ball at his farm. He reportedly was so impressed with himself that he presented huge cheese ball to President Thomas Jefferson at the White House.
How do you suppose the conversation went between Jefferson and the White House doorman?
Doorman: “Mr. President, there is some farmer at the door who says he’s got a 1,235-pound cheese ball to give you. What do you want me to tell him?”
Jefferson: “Send him to Wisconsin. Tell him to see a guy named Macaroni.”
Sometimes, I just shake my head at all the national days of tomfoolery. And then I talk like a pirate. Argh!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]