The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A G-string problem on stage

A handful of songs into her set Friday night, country music star Kathy Mattea informed the Sellersville Theater crowd that she had broken her G-string.
My first thought was that I had missed some onstage gymnastics by Ms. Mattea that would have caused such a wardrobe malfunction.



Of course, Mattea had broken the G-string on her guitar. I knew that. Really.
During an interview to preview the show, Mattea had told me that it was her responsibility to make “people feel like they’ve been sitting in somebody’s living room and that they’ve been lost in these songs all evening.”
And that’s exactly what the audience got from Kathy Mattea in her return to Sellersville. The Grammy Award-winning singer was warm and engaging during the show, and friendly and kind to those who waited in line to meet her after the show.
I’ve been to dozens of shows over the years at ST94, but Mattea is very well suited for this venue, and it for her. It’s not that the other performers and entertainers I’ve seen there haven’t been suited for the ST94, it’s just I can’t remember a more comfortable and natural feel to a show.
Maybe it’s because ST94 is my favorite local venue. Maybe it’s because Kathy Mattea’s music speaks to me on a different level. Maybe it was just the right artist in the right place on the right night.
Whatever the case, it strengthened by belief that the fine arts, music in particular, can be an important and vital part of life and that we should support it at the local level.
And I went home feeling like I was sitting in someone’s living room getting lost in those songs all evening.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]