The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm done with these TV dramas

I’ve pretty much had it with television dramas. In particular, my days of watching “Grey’s Anatomy” and its spinoff, “Private Practice,” as well as “Desperate Housewives” and “Brothers and Sisters,” are over.
Why? Well, too much drama for me. Duh, that’s why those shows are called dramas, huh?
I really don’t have much invested in “Grey’s” or “Housewives.” If I miss those two, I don’t lose sleep. I like “Brothers and Sisters” because I like watching Sally Field and Rob Lowe perform. I go all the way back to Ms. Field’s film performance with Burt Reynolds in “Smokey and the Bandit” and I like Lowe’s character on “West Wing” several years ago.
And I started to follow “Private Practice” from its inception because of Kate Walsh (Dr. Addison Montgomery), who I had the opportunity to interview during the 2008 presidential campaign when she was in Montgomery County stumping for President Obama.
Ms. Walsh was very gracious and articulate during the interview. I would be remiss in my job if I also didn’t report that she is what we in journalism call “very humma humma” in the looks department. (Just doing my job there folks.)
But it was “Private Practice” that finally put me over the edge. In this year’s season finale, there was an accident (there are always accidents in TV dramas, which of course is no accident); a pregnant teenage in the accident, forcing the doctors to choose between saving the baby or operating on the mother’s spinal injury so she would not lose the use of her legs; an engagement, ill-timed at best; all kinds of romantic feelings flying between the characters; and the death of one of the regular characters on the show.
All in one episode.
And then Lowe’s character on “Brothers and Sisters” died in a horrific multi-car crash in the same week as well.
It was too much for me. Real life is difficult enough, filled with challenges and tragedies.
I am no longer am interested in being reminded that real life can stink. From here on out, I’m sticking to watching the Phillies on TV. If they stink, I’ll just turn the channel to something less dramatic and more cerebral . . . professional rasslin’.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

When I watched the "Desperate Housewives" finale I thought the same thing. This show is like a soap opera! I do like it and I have room for one in my TV schedule. That's about it though. I don't watch Grey's, Private Practice, or Brother and Sisters.

May 18, 2010 at 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with Cake Boss - the guy's a riot.

May 30, 2010 at 3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]