The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chasing Straight No Chaser

We’ve been wanting to see the a cappella group Straight No Chaser for quite a while now and we finally got the chance July 3 at Penn’s Landing.
The group of 10 college buddies from Indiana burst onto the scene a few years ago having been signed to a record deal on the strength of a YouTube video of their act that was seen by a recording executive.



They’re currently in the early stages of a two-month gig at Harrah’s Resort in Atlantic City. That turned out to be gravy for The Blonde Accountant and I because a last-minute cancellation in the lineup for the Fourth of July weekend Fam Jams event opened up a spot for Straight No Chaser.
If you haven’t been to a show at Penn’s Landing, the seating area there is essentially a bunch of cement steps in front of the stage. It can accommodate a couple of hundred people.
Although one can bring along a lawn chair, most folks just park it on the steps. Unfortunately at my age, getting up off cement steps requires a large crane after I’ve been sitting for a while.
Still, that did nothing to hamper our enthusiasm for Straight No Chaser. As a bonus, some of the Straight No Chaser wives plopped down right beside me for the show and I exchanged some brief chit-chat with one of them. After the show, the wives asked me to take a picture of the four of them, and I only botched the first attempt. Not bad for as guy who gets paid to take pictures on occasion.
I mentioned to one wife that since SNC is so good at harmonies, the group ought to include a Beach Boys song in its show, for old guys like me.
Based on SNC Wife’s response — which I didn’t entirely hear because in addition to having trouble getting up off the cement, my ears aren’t so good — I'm guessing the group does “California Girls” with a twist. The guys substitute the words “Jersey girls” for “California girls.”
We plan to head for AyCee in August to see a SNC show. I assume I will not have to sit on cement steps at Harrah’s.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger theblindspot said...

Thanks for the write-up, Mike! So jealous that you got to meet all the ladies of SNC! I've only had the pleasure of meeting one! Hoping this is the first of many SNC shows for you! You will LOVE their show at Harrah's!

July 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM  
Anonymous waterfallprincess said...

*waves hello* SNC is always fantastic and their Harrah's show this summer is no exception! I know people who have already traveled across the country this summer specifically to see it. So happy to see that you plan to go!

"Jersey Girl" is a lyrical rewrite of the Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl." And yes, they knock the harmonies out of the park! Also, on their Christmas CD "Holiday Spirits," they cover "Little Saint Nick." :o)

July 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the show too! Awesome as usual! You must see the AC show-spectacular!!! Seats are more comfy at Harrah's too! The crowd loved them, I hope it brought them more fans! Great article.

Thanks,
Jennifer in Philly

July 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]