The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, September 6, 2011

S-F football night all about community

One doesn’t have to like football to enjoy high school football night. That’s because in many towns, it’s about more than just football, it’s about community.
That was certainly evident last Friday night in Spring-Ford High School’s home opener against West Chester East. My kids have been, and still are, in the Spring-Ford school system, so I have been to some football games over the years.
The good guys won 63-12, but for me, that’s only part of the story. I’ve always enjoyed the atmosphere, the band, the cheerleaders, and the mascot. Spring-Ford’s mascot — Rowdy Ram — is particularly entertaining this year, interacting with fans, especially the younger children.



And I’ve always loved the band. My high school band in central Illinois was directed by Dr. Lawrence Fogelberg, father of the late singer-songwriter from the 1970s, Dan Fogelberg, and the inspiration of one of his greatest songs, “Leader of the Band.” So ya, we had a pretty good band.
Unfortunately, the Spring-Ford band didn’t perform a halftime routine for the first game, instead deferring to the visiting team’s band for that honor. But the S-F musicians did it up big and loud from their perch in the bleachers, so I got to enjoy a performance just the same. I am particularly fond of the tuba section.
The cheerleaders, of course, also help complete the experience, although I must admit, as a card-carrying member of the Dad of Daughters Club, I sometimes worry that the high-flying aerial routines will result in injury. But I’d have the same concern if I had a son in helmet and pads knocking heads on the field.
All in all, high school football night is a great way to get a relatively low-cost evening of entertainment. But more importantly, it provides a wonderful sense of community, the benefits of which one can’t put a price on.
Did I mention you should go out and see Rowdy Ram? The youngster in the suit is a hoot.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]