The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Monday, November 21, 2011

Stretch limousine on fire

In Catie Curtis’ newest CD titled, “Stretch Limousine on Fire,” there are these lines in the title track:

“How come the rich just keep on getting richer
while the rest of us are paying dues?
I try to keep the faith, but when I get the blues,
I think of that . . . stretch limousine on fire.”


It’s a catchy, happy tune with a contemporary message. (In an earlier verse, Curtis writes that “everyone got out alive” so the limo fire didn’t exactly hurt anyone other than maybe the well-to-do folks who were hoping to ride in it prior to the blaze.)
I always enjoy discovering a new singer-songwriter that I haven’t heard before, and Saturday night at World Café Live provided another opportunity to add to my list of favorite artists to come out of the Philly music scene. (I’m unofficially titling Saturday’s date night with The Blonde Accountant “Occupy World Café Live For A Few Hours, At Least Until The Cops Get There With The Pepper Spray.”)



Curtis is from Boston and has been around for a while now, but is new to The Blonde Accountant and me. She’s got a pleasant sound tied to compelling storytelling that makes for an enjoyable evening of music.
Her songs are mostly happy and she appears genuinely pleased up there on stage sharing them with the audience.
Another singer-songwriter, Meg Hutchinson, opened for Catie and I liked her music quite a bit as well.
I got a chance to briefly talk to Catie afterwards. She asked how we found out about the show and I answered that we try to keep an eye out for artists who perform in Philly and attend the shows of the ones we like. I had been on Catie’s website and listened to some of her stuff a few days before the show and based on that, I was pretty sure we would enjoy her music. I think she’d also be an interesting interview if I ever got the opportunity.
So add Catie Curtis to the list of storytellers like Dan May, Mutlu, Lizanne Knott, Carsie Blanton and Anj Granieri. Not only are they artists who are easy on the ears, I like to have their CDs in my car to keep me company.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]