The "Outta Leftfield" Weblog


Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This panto has nothing to do with The Lone Ranger

Ya gotta love any production that encourages the audience to boo the bad guys. I love booing the bad guys.
And that was certainly one aspect that kept me entertained at People’s Light and Theatre’s production, “Snow White: A Musical Panto,” which runs through Jan. 3 at the Malvern theater.
And here I thought Panto was the Lone Ranger’s sidekick. Turns out a panto is part fractured fairy tale and part variety show. Who knew?
And the talented folks at People’s Light are an absolute hoot in this show, which in the true spirit of a Bullwinkle cartoon, appeals to both children and adults.
I’m not a theater critic. I go to shows to be entertained, not to look for flaws in performances. And this “Snow White” entertained me as much as I’ve ever been entertained in a theater. Younger Daughter was with me on this excursion and she is involved in theater arts at her high school. She, too, gave this show high marks.
While all the performers were brilliant, my favorites were Pierre the personal chef, played by Christopher Patrick Mullen, and Miles the butler, played by Chris Faith. Those guys cracked me up every time they appeared on stage. I’d like to go out on the town with those two guys, but only if they stayed in character. Younger Daughter liked the movie director Vladimir Von Upchuck, played by Jeff Coon, and George the gardener, played by Dustin Karrat.
Of course, Regina Valo (the Wicked Queen) played by Lois Sach Binder, was extremely boo-able, which I quite enjoyed. If I was an actor, I’d want to play the villain. It looks like so much fun, and Ms. Binder nailed it.
If you haven’t experienced People’s Light, you should do so. It’s a fabulous local treasure and I’ve never seen a bad show there. And “Snow White: A Musical Panto” is s great way to experience People’s Light.
Laughing all night long and booing the bad guys. It really doesn’t get any better than that.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania

Mike Morsch has been executive editor of Montgomery Newspapers since 2003. His award-winning humor column "Outta Leftfield" has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, the Suburban Newspapers of America and the Philadelphia Press Association.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]